Safety Alerts for Operators
Part 121 Air Carrier Operations on Restricted Runways
- December 24, 2014, This SAFO alerts airplane operators to the requirement that airport aeronautical data must include information obtained from Airport Facility Directories (AFD), Aeronautical Information Publications (AIP) or via Notices to Airmen (NOTAM), and other approved sources for restricted runways.
Mitigating the Risks of a Runway Overrun Upon Landing
- September 17, 2014, This SAFO provides ways for pilots and airplane operators to identify, understand, and mitigate risks associated with runway overruns during the landing phase of flight. It also provides operators with detailed information that operators may use to develop company standard operating procedures (SOP) to mitigate those risks.
Using Runways as Taxiways
- August 13, 2012, This SAFO provides information on reducing the risk of runway incursions when taxiing on intersecting or active runways.
Large Height Deviations in Oceanic Airspace
- February 19, 2013, This SAFO advises operators of the potential impact on safety due to LHDs (300 ft or more from the cleared flight level) in oceanic airspace. Additionally, this SAFO directs operators to the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Oceanic Errors Safety Bulletin (OESB), which discusses current focus areas, standard operating procedures (SOP), and best practices. The OESB also recommends safety controls and mitigations, which should be incorporated into the operator’s international training programs.
Manual Flight Operations
- January 4, 2013, This SAFO encourages operators to promote manual flight operations when appropriate.
Aircraft Approach Category
- September 20, 2012, This SAFO serves to ensure aircraft operators are aware that the aicraft approach category used during an instrument approach is determined by the aircraft's Vref at the maximum certificated landing weight or 1.3 Vso at the maximum certificated landing weight.
Safety During Positioning Flights
- July 3, 2012, The Turbine Aircraft Operations Subgroup (TAOS), part of the General Aviation Joint Steering Committee, developed this SAFO to increase awareness in the aviation community about the frequency of accidents during positioning flights. This SAFO calls attention to the importance of adherence to established operating procedures and recognition of airplane limitations when conducting positioning flights.